Saturday, February 28, 2009

Serendipity, walker for investigator's wife. Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

02/28/2009. Journal entry. I joined a bunch of ward members and the two full time missionaries to help move stuff that was stored in the garage at a member's old house to the garage at their new house.

Among the "stuff" was a walker, the kind elderly people use.

Aha, thought I. This is what our African investigator's wife needs. She uses a cane, and can barely get around, and needs something more.

I asked the owner of the stuff how much he wanted for it, and he said I could just have it. I then told him it was for the investigator's wife.

Later on in the day, I took it over to their house. His wife doesn't speak English. When she saw it and realized it was for her, she threw her hands up in the air, and started singing in her native language. The only word I could make out was "Hallelujah!".

The grand-daugther then went to wake up her grand-father, though I didn't want to bother him because he works nights.

She tried it out walking down the hall-way and back. She kept on singing.

Not having a walker was one of the main reasons she hardly ever left their apartment. Now maybe she can walk to the bus stop. I encouraged the investigator to invite her to come to church so she could thank the couple who donated the walker. Not being able to get around well was one reason she wasn't coming to church.

6 Comments:

At 2/28/2009 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Ryan Mercer said...

That is awesome!

 
At 3/01/2009 05:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have "liberated the captive" -- bless you for being so observant.

 
At 3/02/2009 01:55:00 AM, Blogger Shankar said...

That is wonderful. I hope she made it to Church yesterday.

 
At 3/02/2009 09:58:00 AM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Shankar: No, but it's an interesting and cute story why she didn't. But, I don't want to get into their personal lives on a public blog.

I think the walker incident has been watershed event, and will draw the investigator's wife and daughter into investigating and participating. So far it has just been the investigator and his grand-daughter.

The walker is a temporal thing showing that people care about their physical well-being, and this relationship isn't just about getting them to make a religious conversion.

I like that they haven't asked for anything other than a Bible in their language. They're not investigating just for freebies.

 
At 3/02/2009 04:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you mighe be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel

 
At 3/02/2009 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great job! Once again, you've been utilized to help someone have the opportunity to associate with church members.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home