Monday, February 06, 2006

Moment #523. Chinese at Post Office. Mon, Feb 6, 2006.

02/06/2006. As I entered the Post Office to check my PO Box, I noticed an Asian-looking man waiting in the outer lobby. He appeared to be humble. I checked my box, and it included a Korean and a Chinese Liahona. I approached the man and asked if liked to read Chinese. He said yes. I asked if he was from China or Taiwan, and he said China. The Chinese Liahona is in traditional Chinese, not the Simplified Chinese used in mainland China. But I offered it to him anyway. He eagerly and gratefully accepted it.

I thought about offering him a Chinese and English Book of Mormon, but decided that the magazine was enough. I went back to my car and started to read some of my other mail, but felt a sense of urgency about giving him a Chinese Book of Mormon. I took a Simplified Chinese copy and an English copy of the Book of Mormon back in and presented them, and he graciously accepted them.

1 Comments:

At 2/10/2006 03:32:00 AM, Blogger Bookslinger said...

Thanks for the refresher.

I try to get people to take both styles of the Chinese Book of Mormon to Chinese restaurants, but people can't seem to shake the mistaken notion that one is Mandarin and the other is Cantonese.

I wrote to the church's Curriculum Department, and the Distribution Center, encouraging them to put explanations on the web site catalog so members can educate themselves about which to order. It would be nice if such explanations were also in the materials themselves. Because it is mainly native English speakers who order the material in the US, _for_ Chinese investigators or new members.

I'm glad things are picking up steam in Europe.

The two groups to whom I've given out the most books are Africans and Chinese.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home